Maria's girls

Maria's girls

Sunday, December 4, 2011

How can you help?

After a nice visit with Maria today, I wanted to come up with some suggestions for people who are wanting to do something to help. So many of my friends have offered so many times and other than the fundraising cards that so many people came through for, I can only come up with prayers. Prayers are definately the biggest gift that can be given right now. After seeing Maria this afternoon and how decent she is feeling right now, it only makes me more nervous for what lies ahead. The doctors and nurses have prepared her for all that may happen but it is a waiting game to see what end of the spectrum her symptoms will develop into. So prayers for the easiest hospital stay and minimal negative affects are much appreciated. Also, prayers for my brother Jeff. He does not deal the best with anything medical and it will be hard on him to be at home holding down the fort and running his business knowing Maria is in the hospital. Also, prayers for Maria's mom Gina. I never stopped to think how hard the hospital stay would be on her. Gina spends most of her time with Maria and can stop by for a visit anytime. It will be difficult for her to get down to Barnes because she is unfamiliar with the area. I know Gina will be very helpful and preoccupied with the kids and helping Jeff out but I know she will miss her daughter terribly.
So besides prayers, I had a few other ideas. One is to send a card of inspiration and prayer to Maria. Nothing beats a handwritten note and rereading them is very uplifting to her. I will have her home address at the end and Jeff will take them to her at the hospital. Many people have offered to cook meals. This is very kind but it will be difficult in the next couple weeks to coordinate when someone will be home to accept them and where to store them. The girls will be back and forth between my house, Gina's and their home and Jeff's schedule is always crazy. Another idea would be to send a gift card. Many times the cost of preparing a meal is more than grabbing take out and with all the running around, take out may be the most convenient for now. Gift cards for gas would also be another suggestion. It is amazing how fast a couple trips to Barnes can add up to big bucks. I know with all of the doctor visits, parking fees etc., copays and such, the bills always pile up.
These are just a couple of ideas, Maria hired a house cleaner while she is gone which will definately help. Like I said before, prayers are foremost the most important gift, but I had to throw the other ideas out there because I keep putting myself in her shoes and I cannot imagine walking out on my home life for a month. I am a firm believer in karma and there is not a more giving, kind-hearted soul on this planet than Maria and therefore, I cannot think of a more deserving person to receive the help from friends and strangers that are pulling for her!

here is her address
Maria Klump
#7 Village Drive
St. Louis Missouri 63146

3 comments:

  1. Sending you all kinds of love and prayers Maria.... will be thinking about you daily... and holding your family tight in my heart. Praying that this time will be as manageable as possible and your family is blessed by strength and comfort...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, we are praying for you in Florida. Praying that our Heavenly Father will be with you, your family and all those at Barnes who care for you.
    Angela Pitts and family (Aunt Betty's grand-daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful ideas. The hard part will be keeping her down when she getsvback home.

    ReplyDelete